Thursday, June 26, 2008

stargirl


That bright blue book you see above has been sitting at the back of my car the past few weeks..the turtle bought me a copy and insisted that i should read it--she says reading it is one of the most heartfelt experiences she ever had. I had my doubts, a small book that’s as thick as a cigarette pack and a stickfigure drawing of a girl with a star on top of it as its cover(it doesnt have a title), screams of chicklit to me or even worse its disguising itself as one of those "sweet valley high" or "sweet dreams" pocketbooks that every girl in my highschool used to read.

I kept coming back to turtle's passionately demands that i should read it. So out of a whim i started reading the first 30 pages last sunday...blah blah highschool, blah blah stargirl..blah blah unconventional ukulele playing chick..blah...individuality..this girl and guy are going to fall in love arent they? oh shit, this is a romance story! dammit..so i stopped

I got home early yesterday and saw the book on the floor-my cat probably played with it like with most of my disregarded things. I picked it up, lied down in bed and..opened page 30 and couldnt put it down.

Fuck you Jerry Spinelli, why do you have to produce such a great poetic allegorical tale about popularity and sincere individuality in 200 pages with words that are simple yet full of imagery!. Why do you have to create such a beautiful character that has to deal with "conformity" and all the pros and cons that go with it. Your book is both liberating (to the individual) and incredibly sad (for society), as it takes a true "individual," committed to her allegiance to the world, and shows how the typical person will gladly shun the unique qualities of others -- perhaps in an self-gratifying effort to remain "normal"

I admit, you won me over stargirl, i was staring at my ceiling for a good 10 minutes after i read that last heartfelt chapter thinking if someone like u do really exists-someone who totally disregards all these social taboos that keep us from expressing ourselves and caring for each other.

So, im on my way to powerbooks and ill buy a dozen copies of one of the most amazing books ive ever read and pass it on to friends--now i only have to worry how to convince them to go past page 30 :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sounds great! send me a copy ...if you know where i live hahaha

-patrice

Anonymous said...

very sincere blog, looks like you're in touch of your feminine side. looking forward to your future posts :)

Anonymous said...

yeah, i read that book before. Very nice and absolutely worth my money.

Anonymous said...

That book looks so gay... - 11Finger

Anonymous said...

read it
loved it
:)

Anonymous said...

are you and kookie going to watch the nba draft tom? i want to hear what she has to say after reading the "kookieness during the nba finals" post. I thought you guys were exteremely funny in a deadpan sort of way

KGM said...

I added it to my reading list. It's in the "Juvenile" category, BTW! Pero sige na nga, I'll read it since you gave it such a glowing review ;)

Anonymous said...

pass it on to meeeeeeee - che

Marquita said...

i like this post very convincing.
and you're gonna give me a copy right? heheh looking forward to reading it.

Mariuca said...

LOL, a little 'chic lit' won't hurt you, glad u ended up enjoying it! :)

Thanks so much for visiting my site, hope to see u again soon! :)

Yen said...

Jards!

After reading this post, I want to read Stargirl!!

Have you gone off and bought ALL copies!?!

The bookstores in Powerplant are sold out. Sniff, sniff. The guy at Fully Booked (just to make me feel worse) said, "Sold out YESTERDAY lang." Hmph. Oh well...

- Yen

The Headstrong Chick said...

So, you love books..I do too!
Let's read together?